Northeast Creek
Bar Harbor, Maine
Coplon Associates provided conceptualization, master planning, site design and permitting services for a new 31-home affordable neighborhood in Bar Harbor. Located in proximity to the environmentally significant Northeast Creek, the overall project included the permanent protection of over 100 acres of visually and ecologically sensitive property. Sponsored by the Bar Harbor Housing Authority, the project was the first large-scale project designed as a Planned Unit Development in Bar Harbor. The neighborhood design clustered houses on small lots limiting the development footprint to approximately 5.5 acres or 8% of the property area. The remaining 92% (61 acres) was dedicated as open space. The neighborhood contains two primary residential clusters, one that enables residents to park close to their homes in shared driveway arrangements, the second featuring “walk-to” homes in which the houses are located along a pedestrian street/service drive with parking at each end. Through the design of the buildings, small development footprint and innovative storm water management, the project objective was to match green design/construction standards with affordable, workforce housing.